Dec. 16, 2014 (a.k.a. GT's birthday)
Here is the formula sheet for exam 3.
Dec. 14, 2014
Many potentially useful things added the web site during the weekend:
- Homework solutions for sets J and K.
- Solutions to all quizzes.
- Solutions to the old exam 3.
- Solutions for Exam 2. (Links are on the quizzes page.)
There are office hours over the next few days in case you have last minute questions or if you
would just like to stop by and berate GT for a while.
- Monday 1:00 - 5:00
- Tuesday 2:00 - 5:00
- Wednesday 1:00 - 5:00 (for picking up papers and exams)
- Thursday 10:00 - 2:00 (for picking up papers and exams)
And answers to the most asked questions over the past week.
- Morning class (sections A-D) exam time and place: Wednesday at 9:45 in 1227 Hoover. (The usual classroom.)
- Afternoon class (sections E,F,G,&K) exam time and place: Tuesday at noon in 1312 Hoover. (The usual classroom.)
- Yes, you can take the exam with the "other" class, but check with GT first!
- No, you cannot take the exam twice. (Who would want to do that?!)
Dec. 11, 2014
The review session for the 3rd exam will be held on Thursday, Dec. 11, from 8:00 p.m. to
10:00 p.m. (or whenever). The room is 171 Durham Hall. Attend if you dare!
Dec. 10, 2014
- Normal office hours for today are chopped up a bit: I will be in my office only from
12:00 - 12:30 and from 1:30 - 2:00. However, I will be in the office from 3:00 until
5:00 if you want to stop by then.
- To compensate for the lost time today I will extend office hours for tomorrow: 1:00 - 4:00.
- Finally, I will have office hours on Monday of finals week for any last minute questions. I will
be in the office from 1:00 - 5:00 on Monday.
Dec. 9, 2014
Here is a version of exam 3 from last year. The
average score on this was 29.3 out of 40.
Dec. 4, 2014
Some comments for everyone regarding homework set K, based on some of
the questions I've had today:
- I am removing the PSPICE problem. Building the circuit and running the PSPICE is
not hard in principle, but getting it properly set up and correctly extracting the results
is tricky. Rather than have everyone turn in a PSPICE solution that is (probably)
not correct, we will scratch it, and I will write up the solution as another
- For part (d) of the resonance problem, you do not need to find a new resonance frequency.
The frequency is same as found in part (b). In part (d), you just need to calculate
the resistor voltage at the same frequency when the series parasitic resistance is added in.
- In the Thevenin problem, you are asked to find a value for the equivalent inductance or capacitance.
Presumably, you have calculated the Thevenin impedance, Zth = Rth + jXth. If Xth is positive, then
the impedance looks inductive. If Xth is negative, then the impedance looks capacitive. On the odd
chance that X = 0, the impedance is purely resistive (there is no capacitor or
- I have modified the HW set descriptions to remove the PSPICE problem and clarify the resonance problem.
Nov. 20, 2014
- The original set of AC analysis notes has been revised, with most of the changes occurring
in the last half-dozen slides. You should have another look at those pages.
- A few examples of analyzing AC circuits are now available. More examples will be added soon.
- Notes on AC power have been posted. (We just started into those at the end of class on Wednesday.)
Nov. 16, 2014
- We are not still not quite up to speed on AC analysis, so there will be
no quiz on Monday. On Wednesday, the quiz will definitely be on AC analysis.
In fact, all of the remaining quizzes this semester will be on AC analysis.
- In class on Monday, we will go through as many AC example problems as we can
squeeze into 50 minutes. If ever there was a time when we need to see and
do as many example problems as possible, this is it.
- Some AC analysis practice problems are available. At the moment, there
are relatively few different examples, but there are enough to get started.
A wider selection of practice problems will be made available over the next
Nov. 13, 2014
- All the homework solutions (except for the PSPICE problems) and quiz solutions are on the web site.
- Several people who were not able to attend the help session the other night asked if
solutions to the
old exam could be posted. So, I've done that, including yet another way to find the
Thevenin equivalent of the first problem.
Nov. 12, 2014
- During the review, I never went back to finish the short-circuit current part
of the solution to problem 1. Here is the complete solution to
- There will be no quiz in class on Wednesday. Instead, we will use the time to answer more questions in preparation
for the upcoming exam and to continue our quest towards AC circuit nirvana.
- Here is the "formula sheet" for exam 2
Nov. 11, 2014
- Lab 9 (ac circuits) is on the web site.
- There will be a review session tonight in Room 0308 of Elings Hall, from 8:00 until whenever.
Attendance is not mandatory, but come if you have time and you have questions about
Thevenin equivalents, amplifiers, or RC/RL transients.
Nov. 10, 2014
- Reminder: Today's quiz will be on complex numbers (adding, subtracting, etc.).
Wednesday's quiz will be on AC analysis.
Nov. 7, 2014
Oct. 29, 2014
- The scores page has been updated.
Oct. 20, 2014
- From the diminished expectations department: Exams will not be returned
until Wednesday. It is taking longer than expected to finish the final batch and
record all the grades.
- Homework set G is available.
Oct. 19, 2014
- Monday's quiz will involve a calculation using cascaded two-port amplifier
models. The quizzes on Wednesday and next Monday (10/27) will have op-amp
questions. Practice problems for both are available.Here is one version of the lab exam from
last year. Note that it mentions a 741 op amp. If there is an op-amp
circuit on this year's exam, it will use the 324.
Oct. 16, 2014
- Notes on dependent sources have been added.
Oct. 9, 2014
Oct. 7, 2014
- There will be an exam review session on Tuesday evening (tonight)
from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. in 205 Carver Hall. This is not mandatory
and no new material will be presented. The only activities will be answering
questions and working through example problems. If you feel like you need
a bit more help with the circuit concepts that we have been covering, then
you should try to attend.
Oct. 1, 2014
Sept. 29, 2014
- Homework set E is available.
Sept. 26, 2014
- Notes for superposition, which we will discuss on Friday, are on the
web site under the topics page.
Sept. 25, 2014
- The "super node" notes (from last Friday) are available. These might
help you with the last problem of HW set D, if you are struggling with
Sept. 18, 2014
- The scores paga now shows quiz scores.
- Solutions to HW A have been posted.
- An updated version (minor changes only) of the node voltage notes has been posted.
Sept. 17, 2014
- There were a couple of typos in homework problem 14 of HW C set that
may have caused confusion. Both parts of Prob. 14 should be done using
source transformation techniques. Also, the voltage label in the second
circuit was incorrect. These have been fixed.
Sept. 16, 2014
- I will not be in my office for office hours today. If you have an urgent
question, please send an email. I apologize for any inconvenience.
- There are divider practice problems available. Although it is unlikely that
anyone needs much practice with such simple things.
Sept. 13, 2014
- The description and accompanying materials for Lab 2 are available.
Sept. 11, 2014
- In order to fix a problem with numbers not showing up in the Lab 1
instructions and template, the figures have been redrawn. The old
might look somewhat different at first glance, but they have exactly
the same information.
Sept. 9, 2014
- Homework set B is available. (Due on Sept. 12.)
Sept. 6, 2014
- The description and report templates for Lab 1 are on the web site.
Sept. 4, 2014
- The numbers on homework problem 4 have been adjusted so that
they actually make sense. If you have already solved problem
4 using the original numbers, you do not need to re-work it
with the new numbers.
- I will be in lab from 11:00 to about 11:45 on Friday, and so will
not be in my office for office hours during that time.
Aug. 29, 2014
- Homework set A is available on the web site.
Aug. 25, 2014
- This is the web site for EE 201 for Fall 2014.