Oct. 19, 2018
- For office hours today, I will be in my Durham office between 1:00 and 2:00. From 2:10 until 4:00, I will be in the Coover 2011 lab room. If you have questions, come see me there.
- Combined Audio/Arduino club tonight. 8:00 p.m. in Coover 2011. The topic is: "Soldering for n00bs".
(Maybe we can call it Soldering Club tonight.) Everyone has been itching “to build stuff”, so we had better get to it.
We will have a bit of a tutorial at the start, and then I will have all the parts needed for soldering a couple of circuits.
I’ll try to have enough for 24 people, which should be more than adequate. Old hands should still consider attending —
you can help teach the rookies and show them some of your tricks and techniques. The Fire Department has been alerted.
If you want to partake in the fun, you should bring your EE 201 lab kit — or at least the tools (wire cutter, wire stripper, needle-nosed pliers, screwdriver). Also bring along a 9-V battery to power the circuits — it's not essential for tonight, but if you want to power your circuits later, you will need one.
Oct 15, 2017
- There is a new section on the lab page that has information regarding this week's lab exam. You should look it over and bring any questions that you have about the lab exam to class on Monday.
Oct 8, 2017
- Homework set 6 is available on the web site.
- Note that there will be no quiz on Monday (10/9).
Oct 6, 2017
- Note: I will not be in my office between noon and 1:00 p.m. today. I will be there between 1:00 and 2:00, if anyone from the afternoon lecture session desperately needs a question answered prior to the exam.
Oct 5, 2017
- Here is the solution to the old exam. Recall that there is not a lot of point trying to understand every detail of this old exam, because tomorrow's exam will not have any of these questions! Also, the solutions that I've provided are probably "overly detailed".
- Note: There will be NO Arduino club meeting tonight. (Or Audio club, either.) You should be studying for your exam! Meetings will resume next week.
Oct 4, 2017
- Solutions for quizzes 5 - 12 are available. Use the "Quizzes" link above to access them.
- Exam review session: tonight in Hoover 1227 (the classroom for the afternoon lecture). Starting at 8:00 p.m. and lasting till whenever.
Oct 2, 2017
Here is Exam 1 from last year, to be used as a practice exam. Attached at the back of the exam is the formula sheet that will be provided to you for our upcoming exam.
Sep 21, 2017
Reminder: Arduino club tonight! On tap: A basic beginner tutorial on using digital outputs and keeping track of time in an Arduino. If you have one, bring your Arduino. I have some extras, if you would like borrow one for tonight. You will also need your laptop (with the Arduino software installed) and a USB cable (type A one end and type B on the other — the cable used for most printers. I do not have extras of these, so you should steal one from your room-mate’s printer to use tonight.)
Sep 19, 2017
- Reminders about the lab make-up times for the Tuesdays sections: Section A will be meeting on Wednesday from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 in Coover 2011. Section B has two times: Thursday from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. in Coover 2011 and Wednesday from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. in Coover 2011.
- Note: We will have a slight change in schedule for lecture tomorrow and Friday. Because of the many "day-after-carrer-fair" interviews, the lab make-ups, and other general distractions, we will post-pone the normal Wednesday quiz to Friday this week. Short version: No quiz on Wednesday, quiz on node-voltage on Friday.
Sep 14, 2017
- Reminder: Audio Club tonight — 8:00 p.m. in 2011 Coover. For those that are interested.
- We have received some homework papers that have only answers, with no supporting work included. According to our class policy, those homeworks get only 2 points out of the possible 10. Please make sure that you include enough work on your solutions so that the graders can understand how you arrived at your answers and you can receive full credit for your efforts.
Sep 12, 2017
Note: The quiz on Wednesday will cover equivalent resistances (again), since we have not yet covered voltage/current dividers.
Sep 7, 2017
Reminder: Arduino club tonight. If you are interested. 8:00 p.m. in 2011 Coover.
Sep 6, 2017
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING HOMEWORK! There were two typos in the original posting of HW Set 2. The first was in prob B1, where the given value of the resistor voltage was wrong — the correct value is 1.25 V. The second was in Prob B5 (the bridge circuit), where one of the resistor values was missing. Both problems have been fixed — make sure you are using the corrected versions.
Sep 4, 2017
- Homework set 2 is on the web site.
Aug 28, 2017
Here are some links relating to things in mentioned in class last week.
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). They do all sorts of interesting fundamental science (which requires lots of engineering). It might be a good place to work (or intern) some day.
- Values of fundamental constants as provided by NIST.
- The Great Dying. What will happen to the Earth if atmospheric CO2 continues to increase? We don't have to guess or restort to "alternative facts". We can know what will happen in the future, because it has happened in the past. It's not a good story for humans (or most other types of life).
Aug 27, 2017
- Homework set 1 is on the web site.
- Note that the quiz on Monday will be over charge and current — again — rather than power and energy. So, focus on those practice problems for Monday.
July 29, 2017
This is the web site for EE 201, Fall 2017.